Explain the causes and consequences of U.S. involvement in World War I.
I can describe the events that led the United States into World War I, & I can analyze the war’s impact on American society.
Critical Vocabulary: Imperialism, Great White Fleet, White Man’s Burden, Yellow Journalism, De Lome Letter, U.S.S. Maine, Spanish American War, Treaty of Paris, Anti-Imperialist League, Open Door Policy, Panama Canal, Roosevelt Corollary, Gunboat Diplomacy, Dollar Diplomacy, Moral Diplomacy, Nationalism, Allied Powers, Central Powers, Lusitania, Unrestricted Submarine Warfare, Zimmerman Note, Fourteen Points, Propaganda, Selective Service Act, American Expeditionary Force, Great Migration, Espionage & Sedition Acts, Schenck v. United States, Treaty of Versailles, War Guilt Clause, Red Scare, Palmer Raids, Immigration Acts, Red Summer, Eighteenth Amendment, Volstead Act, Speakeasies, Bootleggers, Organized Crime, Twenty-First Amendment, Scopes Trial, Nineteenth Amendment, Flapper, Harlem Renaissance Jazz Age
- Background Question: Create a Trading Card for Henry Cabot Lodge.
- Citizenship Question: What is the supreme law of the land?
- the U.S. Constitution
- the Articles of Confederation
- the Emancipation Proclamation
- the Declaration of Independence
- Guided Instruction: World War I
- Reflection Question: Why did Henry Cabot Lodge object to the Treaty of Versailles and the League of Nations?
Homework: World War I Reading