I can discuss the origins of the Cold War, & I can evaluate the methods used by the United States to contain communism.
Critical Vocabulary: Potsdam Conference, Big Three, “Iron Curtain,” Truman Doctrine, George F. Kennan, “Long Telegram,” Containment Policy, Marshall Plan, “Berlin Airlift,” North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Chiang Kai-Shek, Mao Zedong, 38th Parallel, NSC-68, General Douglas MacArthur, Dwight Eisenhower, Demilitarized Zone, John Foster Dulles, Strategic Air Command, Arms Race, Red Scare, Executive Order 9835, Federal Loyalty Program, Congressman Martin Dies, House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC), Hollywood Ten, Senator Joseph McCarthy, Army-McCarthy Hearings, Nikita Khrushchev, Sputnik, “Kitchen Debate,” Francis Gary Powers, John Kennedy, New Frontier, Bay of Pigs Invasion, Fidel Castro, Alliance for Progress, Berlin Wall, Cuban Missile Crisis
- Background Question: Create a Trading Card for John F. Kennedy.
- Citizenship Question: Which of the following includes two major political parties in the United States?
- Libertarian Party and Democratic Party
- Progressive Party and Libertarian Party
- Democratic Party and Republican Party
- Progressive Party and Republican Party
- Guided Instruction: The Kennedy Doctrine
- Reflection Question: How successful was the Kennedy Doctrine in fighting the Cold War? Explain.
Homework: The Cold War Reading