I can evaluate the extent to which the nineteenth century belief in “Manifest Destiny” led to the growing sectional conflict in the United States.
Critical Vocabulary: Manifest Destiny, John O'Sullivan, President James K. Polk, Oregon Territory, Treaty of 1818, Oregon Trail, Oregon Treaty of 1846, Stephen F. Austin, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, Texas Revolution, Battle of the Alamo, Goliad Campaign, General Sam Houston, Battle of San Jacinto, Election of 1844, James K. Polk, John Slidell, John C. Frémont, General Zachary Taylor, Mexican American War, “Spot Resolutions,” “Civil Disobedience,” Battle of Buena Vista, “Bear Flag Revolt,” General Winfield Scott, Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, Wilmot Proviso, “Popular Sovereignty,” Lewis Cass
- Background Question: Create a Trading Card for James K. Polk.
- Individual Learning: Western Expansion Map
- Guided Instruction: Manifest Destiny
- Individual Learning: Oregon Trail Game
- Reflection Question: Why did so many people move West during the 1840s?
Homework: Manifest Destiny
Tentative Test Date: December 11