I can discuss the origins of the Cold War, & I can evaluate the methods used by the United States to contain communism.
Critical Vocabulary: Potsdam Conference, Big Three, “Iron Curtain,” Truman Doctrine, George F. Kennan, “Long Telegram,” Containment Policy, Marshall Plan, “Berlin Airlift,” North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), Chiang Kai-Shek, Mao Zedong, 38th Parallel, NSC-68, General Douglas MacArthur, Dwight Eisenhower, Demilitarized Zone, John Foster Dulles, Strategic Air Command, Arms Race, Red Scare, Executive Order 9835, Federal Loyalty Program, Congressman Martin Dies, House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC), Hollywood Ten, Senator Joseph McCarthy, Army-McCarthy Hearings, Nikita Khrushchev, Sputnik, “Kitchen Debate,” Francis Gary Powers, John Kennedy, New Frontier, Bay of Pigs Invasion, Fidel Castro, Alliance for Progress, Berlin Wall, Cuban Missile Crisis
- Background Question: Create a Trading Card for Joseph McCarthy.
- Citizenship Question: There are four amendments to the Constitution about who can vote. Which of the following is true?
- Only citizens 21 and older can vote.
- Only citizens with jobs can vote.
- Only citizens 18 and older can vote.
- Only citizens who pay taxes can vote.
- Guided Instruction: The Red Scare
- Individual Learning: The Cold War Activity
- Reflection Question: Play U.S. Citizenship Kahoot #2.